Ship John, on a voyage from Germany to Philadelphia in 1797, grounded on an invisible shoal. The mariners had to abandon the ship and leave it on the shoal. Thus it became 'Ship John Shoal'. After the ship sunk, officials erected a wooden lighthouse, but ice soon destroyed the structure. In 1874, a stronger cast iron lighthouse was constructed that could withstand the dangerous elements of winter on the Delaware Bay. Ship John Shoal features a light that flashes red on the shoal side and white on the channel side. It is an active light station and guides mariners through the channel to this day.
Numbered limited edition Lighthouse collectible from Harbour Lights. Each lighthouse comes
with a certificate of authenticity and a brief history of the lighthouse.